[X-Unix] [ANN] unmac

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 8 05:28:49 PST 2009

On 8 Jan 2009, at 13:11, Xavier Noria wrote:
> * I passed stuff to some friend with cp(1), mv(1), etc. via his memory
> stick. Now he is at home on FreeBSD and his memory stick has .Trashes,
> AppleDoubles and what not.

I understood that this use case should not cause such nasty clutter. I
thought the garbage files were only created when the volume is browsed
in Finder.

Of course, one might type `cp -R ` in Terminal and then open the
memory stick in Finder, select a folder and drag it to the Terminal.
But that's not actually the "cp(1), mv(1), etc." causing that. ;)

Myself, I would tend to type `cp -R /Vol`-TAB`No`-TAB`pa`-TAB`to\fi`-
TAB in order to get "/Volumes/No Name/path/to/files"
Perhaps I have unconsciously learned this behaviour in order to reduce
the housekeeping needed to keep my portable drives clean. ;)

Stroller.