[X-Unix] re: quotas - My math stinks!

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Fri Jan 9 06:14:02 PST 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 5:38 AM, Charles Howse wrote:

> I will ask ONE MORE TIME...
> SHOW ME the math, don't quote the man pages or the standards.
> Do it like I did in my post of 1/8 18:23.
> SHOW ME how the amounts reported by du and quota are the same.  :)

I would ask that you remember that du will show files owned by ALL
users under a given path.  repquota will show the calculation for all
files, regardless of path, owned by a given user.  Without actually
having your system in front of me, it's hard to show you an exact
example.

On my system, du -kd1 /Users shows my home directory at 50992028k
(48.63G), whereas repquota shows ecrist user at 68069764k (64.92G), a
difference of 16.30G.  I searched and found the my home directory has
a size, according to finder of 48.63G (matches du).  The other 16.30G
I was being charged for by quota, not in my home directory was in a
few places:
1) 13.1G was in my /Applications/World of Warcraft folder (owned by
ecrist)
2) ~3.2G was other applications in /Applications folder, all owned by
ecrist.

---
Eric Crist