[X-Unix] re: quotas - My math stinks! SOLVED!

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sun Jan 11 08:20:42 PST 2009

I'd like to give a BIG, PUBLIC "THANK YOU" to Eric Crist for helping
tremendously in the solution to this.

To recap briefly...
My daughter was using my account on the Mac for her browsing,
downloading, etc.
I decided she should use her own danged account and stop trashing my
'neat' account.
I changed some things to force her to log into her own account
whenever she sat down.
Then, as root, I moved all her files to her home directory.
Those files were owned by me, since they were created using my account.
Thus the huge difference between du and repquota, because du reports
files owned by any user under the specified directory, ex. du -dk1 /
Users/randi showed all my files and what few she had at that time,
while repquota reported files owned by a specific user no matter what
the path.
I chowned my files to her, and things got better (closer to the
difference between du and repquota) right away.

The current difference between du and repquota is only about 32G, with
repquota being the larger of the two, as it should.
After doing: find / -user randi -exec ls -lah {} ;
the suspect files are in /var, /tmp, and /Library.
They exist because of normal OS X behavior...creating caches, logs,
temp files and the like.

So basically, my assumption that we were confused by the difference in
the way du and repqouta work was correct.  I should have only used
repqouta to see how much disk space she is using.

FYI: I've given her a soft quota limit of 10G, and a hard limit of
10.2G, with 7 days grace period.  She's currently at about 2.3G.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to the thinking process!

--
Later,
Charles