[X-Unix] Converting eps to pdf from commandline

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Sep 12 10:59:44 PDT 2009

On 8 Sep 2009, at 19:10, John Harrold wrote:
> I'm generating some eps files with latex and I need to convert these
> into
> pdf files.

I'm sorry that this response doesn't directly answer your question,
but is there a reason you're producing EPS files with LaTeX?

I know different LaTeX distros behave differently - what I remember
from last time I used a multiple-step process is that I used a command
to produce .dvi files (??) from the .tex output, then dvips or dvipdf
[1] to produce a printable file. I see these latter commands appear to
be provided by Ghostscript; I do my LaTeX work on Linux, so have no
idea of the situation of that package or those commands on MacOS.

I think my LaTeX distro (texlive) dropped dvi2pdf, but this shouldn't
be a big deal, as it's easy to convert PS to PDF.

I'm not clear on the difference between PS & EPS files. My experience
of opening EPS (say, Photoshop / Illustrator) is that they often
manifest this scaling problem you describe.

Anyway, my advice, if you'll forgive it, is to try to avoid the EPS
step. I personally just use `rubber` [2], which turns a multiple-step
process into a single-step one, and saves me having to read a bunch of
uninteresting output as the .dvi file is generated. I simply run
`rubber --pdf source.tex` and get a perfect pdf file as a result (in
fact I have `alias rubber="rubber --pdf"` in my .bashrc, making the
actual command to type even shorter & more intuitive)

Stroller.

[1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man1/dvipdf.1.html
[2] http://iml.univ-mrs.fr/~beffara/soft/rubber/