[X-Unix] Changing a file's open-with program at the command line.

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 18:47:26 PST 2010

Hi there,

When I set up a new Mac, one of the first things I do is helicopter-I
on an MP3 file, choose "Quicktime" from the open-with drop-down and
then apply that to all files of this type. There is nothing more
annoying than an MP3 voicemail from your Mum being added to your
iTunes library right beside "I touch myself" by the Devinyls.

The downside of this is that if I want to get up from my computer to
make a cup of tea, and decide that it would be nice to have the
Devinyls blaring out whilst I do so, I have to click on iTunes and
wait for it to open before searching for the track. What would be much
better is for songs in my iTunes library to open with iTunes so that I
can just Spotlight for them & click ok. Actually, I can do this at the
moment, but they open in Quicktime, so the played count &
favouriteness indicators aren't incremented.

Clearly cron jobs are the answer to all the world's problems.

What's the command-line tool to change the open-with program for a
single file, please?

In conjunction with `find` this will bring world peace.

Google is unhelpful, or perhaps that's my search terms.

Stroller.