[X-Unix] Hardware RAID Setup

Martin McCormick martin at x.it.okstate.edu
Wed May 12 11:36:14 PDT 2010

This is a new Mac Pro with a hardware RAID card. It came with 2
1 TB disks and I am trying to set them up as a raid 1 mirroring
configuration.

raidutil list raidsetinfo

produced the fact that the drive in Bay 1 was a member of
raidset RS1 and the drive in Bay 2 was a member of raidset RS2.
to make a RAID 1, I understand that I should have them both
members of the same raidset so I set about to make that happen.
This meant dismounting /Volumes/Macintosh HD and ultimately
/Volumes/Macintosh HD 2 which held the OS so I did this from the
Installation disk.

	This means that after that time, there was no startup or
boot disk visible.

going to the GUI in raidutility, the raid 1 was actually the
default configuration so I clicked Create.

	Going back to Terminal and the Command line,

raidutil list raidsetinfo shows a 1 TB raid consisting of the
drives in Bay 1 and Bay 2 just like one would expect.

I used radutility to create a volume which I named main1 with
the following command:

raidutil create volume --name main1 --raidset RS1 --size all

and there was an appropriate pause of a few seconds after which
raidutil said it was initializing. A few hours later,

raidutil list status

said all was well with both the raid controller and the volume
main1.

	I am now stuck as to what to do next. Somehow, I must go
from this volume to a mountable device that the startup disk
chooser can see. The man pages for raidutil and diskutil haven't
made any light bulbs come on in my head yet regarding how to
turn this volume in to something that looks like a single disk
which is the whole idea behind the hardware raid.

	Right now, the startup disk selector has only the
Installation DVD and network startup as options.

	I fully expect to have to reinstall MacOS, but I am
confused as to how to make the raid volume show up as a disk.

	Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer