[X-Unix] Unremovable folder and the USB key

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu May 13 14:38:21 PDT 2010

On 13 May 2010, at 19:32, Matevž Markovič wrote:
> I chflagged all the files in order to remove them, but even now, when
> the folder is empty and without any flags, it cannot be deleted. I
> just get permission denided error. I took ownership of the folder, but
> still nothing.
>
> Finally, I checked the USB key with the Disk Utility, and I got >100
> errors, all about false sectors and stuff... But it repaired them all.
>
> What irritates me, is that the key works just fine in both Windows
> (XP) and OS X Leopard.
> Do you see any connection between the unremovable folder and errors in
> Disk Utility? What should I do, appart from formating the key?

What's wrong with formatting the key?

Yes, it's inelegant to do so blindly, because one doesn't know better
how to fix the problem. But the check with disk utility tends to
suggest the filesystem may be corrupt. That can happen VERY easily on
FAT - which is a very poor filesystem, but ubiquitously readable and
writable - and the best way to fix it is indeed to format the drive.

Stroller.