[X-Unix] How to *quietly* unarchive a .bz2 file?

Richard Hartman seasoft at west.net
Sun Oct 3 10:20:54 PDT 2010

On Oct 3, 10, at 09:56, Chris Jones wrote:

>> $ which bunzip2
>> /sw/bin/bunzip2
>
> That is not native on OS X.
>
> The fact it is is /sw leads me to believe you installed it from Fink.
>
> I also have a version, installed via MacPorts
>
> Chris-Jones-Macbook-Pro ~ > which bunzip2
> /opt/local/bin/bunzip2
>
> '/opt/local' being the classic 'MacPorts' software installation area.

You're right, partly. Looks like I did get it from Fink on my 10.5
machine.

But, on my 10.6 machine (Snow Leopard Server) it is in /usr/bin; so it
is part of the default installation there since I haven't added
anything yet to that (brand new) machine. It might be a part of Dev
Tools on 10.6; not sure about that.

Richard