[X-Unix] How to *quietly* unarchive a .bz2 file?

Richard Hartman seasoft at west.net
Sun Oct 3 20:32:22 PDT 2010

On Oct 3, 10, at 11:47, Chris Jones wrote:

>> You're right, partly. Looks like I did get it from Fink on my 10.5
>> machine.
>>
>> But, on my 10.6 machine (Snow Leopard Server) it is in /usr/bin; so
>> it is part of the default installation there since I haven't added
>> anything yet to that (brand new) machine. It might be a part of Dev
>> Tools on 10.6; not sure about that.
>
> Ahh yes. I also have /usr/bin/bunzip2 . The version in /opt/local/
> bin trumps that one though, so I didn't notice it ...
>
> So it does seem 10.6 (I run a standard desktop/laptop version, not
> the server version) comes with it out the box.

Thanks for noticing this. I found the same thing (i.e., a second
bunzip2 in usr/bin/) on my 10.5 box but had not been aware of that
until your comment above.

So, bunzip2 (and bzip2) have been part of the default installation, in
usr/bin/, as far back as Leopard (10.5). Not sure about earlier OS
versions.

Richard