[X-Unix] Find if shutdown is in progress

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Mon Apr 11 11:25:22 PDT 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> On 2011 Mar 25, at 12:33, Michael Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this will work or not but have you tried checking the runlevel?
>>
>> who -r
>
> Thank you, Michael.  I just tried that but its output ("run-level 3") stays the same even during the shutdown process.

	It's well known that some times man pages don't really help much, but in this case it's a bit hard to overlook:

WHO(1)                    BSD General Commands Manual                   WHO(1)

NAME
     who -- display who is logged in

(...)

     -r    Print the current runlevel.  This is meaningless on Mac OS X.

	So I seriously doubt you'll get any info from who(1) that might interest you. All in all, runlevels are a SYSV UNIX thing (later on implemented by Linux as well), while Mac OS X is derived from BSD UNIX, the opposing  branch in the infamous UNIX wars back in 'them years.

	Regards,

- jmpp