[X-Unix] A (seemingly) simple question...

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun May 29 13:47:08 PDT 2011

On 5/28/11,  "William H. Magill" <magill at mcgillsociety.org> wrote:
> On May 26, 2011, at 7:31 PM, John Baltutis wrote:

>>> Inside a database. You'll see that when you open the drawer: position the
>>>cursor
>>> near the left edge of the Console window, press the button, drag to the
>>>right.
>>
>> Not in Snow Leopard. The console.log's been rolled up into the All Messges,
>> Console Messages, and system.log files.
>
> Now I'm really confused...
>
> The "/private/var/log/system.log" files  do not contain "all messages" --
> however, they do contain "console messages."
> "syslog -C" does display the console log messages from system.log files
> which match those in the "Console Messages" of console.app.
>
> However, using console.app, there are messages in "All Messages" which do not
>appear
> in either "Console Messages" or in /private/var/log/system.log

Why are you confused? There is no console.log. There are, when using the
Console..app, All Messages, Console Messages, and system.log.. I have no idea
which are supposed to be shared or included in each. Suffice it to say, they're
not everything.

As for the AV stuff, I haven't a clue, since I don't run any on my machines.