Issue with FreeHand MX and special characters

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Aug 2 23:57:23 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I just spoke with Macromedia Tech Support and they confirmed an issue we
are having that I thought other FHMX users should know about - or probably
already do.....

In FHMX 11.0.2 special characters are being substituted, I believe at
print stage. Examples of substitutions are copyright symbols becoming
apostrophes, bullets become the Yen symbol, quotes just disappear and em
dashes do something that I forget right now...(and no doubt there are
other characters that substitute also).

You can see this when you print to a printer or print to PostScript then
Distil a PDF. I'm yet to test if you can avoid the substitution by
creating an EPS file then distilling that.

The workaround our designers are using thus far is to convert all text to
paths before printing or creating PDF's.

Does anyone else have this issue or any suggested fixes/workarounds?

Regards,

Cojcolds