[X4U] Using an Install/Restore Disk to Install on a Different

Andrew J. Yon III ayon2 at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 17:35:40 PDT 2004

> On 08/04/04, Rick Gordon <rick at rickgordon.com> wrote:
>
> Are there any technical issues to be considered with using a G5
> Install/Restore DVD (10.3.2) to install Panther onto a G4 (QuickSilver)
> that currently has 10.2.8 installed on it? An associate of mine was
> considering doing this, and I was not sure whether the install of that
> disk might install hardware-specific files that were not compatible
> with
> the operation of a G4. Does someone here have the real scoop on this?

Rick ,
Interesting question. After reading it and John's reply, I decided to
give it a try. I am writing to you with the result of that experiment.
I am using a MDDP 1.25 that had 10.2.8 on it and now is upgraded to
10.3.4 . I used a restore/ install disk 10.3.2 from a DP 2.0 G5  and
then let auto update it to 10.3.4. I have found no differences in
operation than my other boot drive, that I used a retail copy of 10.3
to begin with on its install. Hope this helps you some.

3