[X4U] Managing Attachments in Mail.app

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Thu Aug 5 15:20:08 PDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 8:24 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> In Eudora I was able to "Get Info" on the "attachment folder" to find
> out how many kb/mb of memory the attachments were taking up. I'm not
> sure where to look in Mail.

That's because there's nowhere to look -- attachments are stored in the
original uuencoded format they were sent in, right along with the
message.  In other words, that 10 Mb TIFF in your email inbox is
actually stored as an (approximately) 10 Mb hunk of text in one big
mbox file that holds all of your messages in that folder.

Unfortunately, not much you can do here.  AppleScript doesn't get at
Mail attachments, so that's out.  What I would do: control-click on the
title bar of your messages (where it says "From", "Subject", etc.) and
turn on the size column.  It'll now say "N messages (N KB)" at the top
of the window.  Figure the text in an email message averages 2-3 K, and
subtract from the total -- the rest are your attachments.