[X4U] Stolen iChat AIM Name (OT)

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Aug 5 17:34:33 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 04:31:18PM -0700, John Baltutis wrote:
:
: On 07/27/04, Steve Talkowski wrote:
: >
: >>Think yourself lucky, a few years after I left school - the kids were
: >>taught to spell phonetically. These people are now in the work place -
: >>cheering us up with mispelt words. I think if you are expecting
: >>everyone to spell and use words correctly then you are going to be
: >>upset sometimes. Ignore it or live with it.
: >>Its the little differences that make people interesting.
:
: You've got it backwords. Learning to spell/read phonetically leads to
: correctness, whereas the whole language approach is the one leaving our
: youth illiterate, as demonstrated daily in education reports.

Phonetics is a joke when talking about the English language.
What's the point of having silent letters in words like "honest"?
Or words that change sounds without changing spelling, like "read"
(REED) vs. "read" (RED)?

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/