Disappearing folders!

Judy Kiel jkiel at aoce.utah.edu
Mon Aug 9 11:22:48 PDT 2004

WTF?
10.2.8, 512 MB, G4/466 ....

We've spent all of last Friday trying to find/recover an entire folder...
just happens to be my main website (details!). I discovered this first in
Dreamweaver, cracked open the proggie and I see the message that my root
directory cannot be found...the site window is pointed at my site, but not
only are the files gone, the whole stupid folder is... GONE. I happen to
have a finder window open, and yep, the place where the "aoce" folder is
supposed to be is now showing the next folder down (in alpha order, in the
list view). ACK!!

We've done everything we can think of, my server admin/Mac expert,and I, to
find ANYTHING from that folder. Nada. Niente. It just .... vaporized.

Yes, we've run Norton off the cd, booted from the cd, ran Disk Warrior,
looked via Terminal, searched using native Find command...guess it's time to
sacrifice the ol' rutabaga.

any ideas??? (other than duh, back up OFTEN.)

sigh.

*******
Judy Kiel
Continuing Education, University of Utah
http://continue.utah.edu
Photographs: http://www.jkiel.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.
 -- Aristotle