[X4U] Single user not an Admin user: A fix anyone?

Paul Baily mglists at paulbaily.com
Wed Aug 11 22:38:28 PDT 2004

On 12/08/2004, at 2:51 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> You can't boot into root unless you previously had root enabled. As a
> single user, there is no option other than entering that user's
> password. And if you have auto login as the setting, I don't think
> you'll even have the option to do that.

Couple of thoughts. I was under the impression that resetting the
password using the CD did enable the root account. In fact I've just
verified that by doing a CD/reset password on a Panther Mac that (I
checked) had a disabled root account beforehand. After that I was able
to log in fine using the root account. May I ask what gives you the
impression that root isn't being enabled in your case?

Root (or System Administrator, to use Apple's long name) will not show
up when the login panel shows a list of users, that's one main reason
the Other button also shows in the login screen. Click that and you get
the user & password login pane where you can specify a non-listed
account name.

Additionally, if auto login is set and you're dropped straight into
Finder without needing a password, doing a logout will still get you
back to the login screen.

cheers,

Paul.