[X4U] Extracting Video from Home-Produced DVD

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Mon Dec 6 21:36:31 PST 2004

On Dec 6, 2004, at 5:55 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> Someone gave me a DVD which they made from "home movies", starring my
> son
> playing hockey.  I would like to extract the video into something like
> iMovie, so I can do things like export it to QuickTime format.
>
> I believe the disk is not "protected".  I am able to burn a complete
> copy to
> a blank DVD-R using Disk Utility.
>
> But neither iMovie nor my $29.95 QuickTime Player can open any of those
> files in the VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS folders.  What do I need?

You need MPEG StreamClip: <http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/>

It will convert the .VOB files inside the VIDEO_TS folder into dv
streams so that you can edit it in iMovie.

When you Export to DV (File menu) be sure to tell it to "Split DV
Stream in Segments" that will cut it up into 2gb files for iMovie.

Oh, btw, quicktime player will only play MPEG2 files (like the ones on
DVD's) when you also purchase the MPEG2 component. But VLC and MPlayer
will play them.
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com