[X4U] Networking to Linux

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:25:29 PST 2004

If you just want to have a file server, you can't go wrong with Samba
(well maybe you can, but you'd almost have to work at it).

I haven't had much success using Linux as a print server for my home
network, but I didn't put that much effort into it, and Ii used
slackware, not SUSE, there might be some differences there also.

I did use the Linux box as a web server w/ an apache/php setup. I was
working on a web app and so i also installed MySQL on the Linux
machine.

All in all, it worked ok. I even ran it headlesss. If I ever had to do
anything with it directly, I just opened Terminal and connected to it
via SSH.

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:49:24 -0500, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:
> I got an old PC from work a P2 350 I reformatted the HD and put SUSE Linux
> on it. Works fine but slow. I was thinking of putting a 160 GB HD in it and
> using it as a makeshift server on my mini home network. Does anyone have any
> experience networking OSX and Linux? I'm assuming it can be done? Any tips?
>
> Thanx
>
> Richard

Polonius19
Chief Malcontent & Misanthrope