[X4U] Help with MPEG-4 and iMac

B.ru c-e € K1u-tch-k0 AppleRocket at NoSpamMail.net
Wed Dec 8 07:15:24 PST 2004

Anybody know about MPEG-4 format?

I just got a great deal on an MPEG-4 camcorder, the Aiptek DV4500 for $88 at
Target. It seems like a real bargain, and although the device is limited in
it¹s
capabilities, it is a small, light, direct-to-chip recorder that will be
great for family video snapshots.

I can play back the video on the Mac using VLC, which has the MPEG-4 codec
that QuickTime doesn¹t.
But I don¹t know how to burn it to a disc, as no program seems to handle
this file type.

I¹d prefer to make a VCD, as I don¹t have a DVD writer on my ancient iMac,
so I¹d like to convert it to another format. The quality of the pictures
(limited pixels, low sensitivity of the camera) means that itonly has VHS or
VCD quality anyway.

I¹ve already tried ffmpegX, but that program only works with MPEG-2 files.
Does anyone know how to convert the
MPEG-4 files to another format on the Mac?

Thanks.
--
B-r-u -c-e