[X4U] Help with MPEG-4 and iMac

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Dec 9 06:39:44 PST 2004

On Dec 9, 2004, at 4:56 AM, Eugene wrote:

> : > I use Toast 6 to do this. Ironically, it seems to handle some video
> : > files that QuickTime Player balks on.
> :
> : I'll give Toast a try, but I'm not certain what would happen if I
> burn an
> : MP4 file to a VCD.
>
> Techncially, you can't.  VCDs use MPEG-1 (and SVCDs use MPEG-2).
> To burn that MPEG-4 file to VCD-compatible format would require a
> conversion to MPEG-1.

To expand a little on using Toast, if you have Toast 6, use the "Video"
pane for creating a VCD. When you do that, Toast converts to MPEG-1 for
you before burning to CD (the process can take a long time). As I said,
Toast 6 has been able to convert things that QuickTime Player can't
even play, so it may work. On the other hand, I don't think it works
with most .asf and .wmv files. I have no idea if the files you're using
(a variant of MPEG-4) will work or not.

If you give Toast 6 a try, I'd like to hear how it turns out.

-Mike