[X4U] Startup key combos don't work

jeff 3redcars at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 17:49:55 PST 2004

G4 MDD, dual 1.0, 2 gb ram, 10.2.8

*None* of the startup key combos are working on
my MDD. Pressing the pmu button does nada as far
as I can tell. I've looked around and haven't
found anything at all about this.

None of these work:

Cmd-Opt-P-R  .....          Zap pram
Cmd-Opt-O-F     ......       Open firmware
C                      ......          Boot from CD
Opt                   ......          Select startup disc
Cmd-Opt-Shift-Del  ...   Ignore startup volume

And like I said, pmu reset seems to do nothing,
although I'm not sure it would be obvious. My
reading says it resets clock "on some models".

Machine boots fine from either of 2 internal HDs
or CD as long as they are selected first in
startup disk sys pref.

I've tried one ADB and two different USB
keyboards and three mice, including original
issue (with the G4) apple. My usual setup is an
ancient Apple adjustable ADB via adapter and a
Logitech wireless mouse.

FWIW, the Apple hardware test came back clean,
and I've repaired permissions. No disk problems
reported .

I am more than baffledŠŠŠŠŠ

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,