[X4U] Require Password to Wake From Sleep

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 17 05:58:44 PST 2004

On 12/17/04 2:43 PM, "Jerry Krinock" <jerry at ieee.org> wrote:

> System Preferences > Security has a single checkbox to specify whether or
> not a password is required when waking from sleep.  Well, there are some
> times each day (when my powerbook will be locked somewhere out of my sight)
> that I would like this to be checked.  But there are other times (when it's
> on my desk at home and needs to wake to perform automatic backups at 5:00
> AM) when I would like it to be un-checked.  I have requested that Apple add
> a feature to easily change this.  My options are:
>
> 1.  Wait til Apple responds (Do any of you developers know if Tiger has
> anything like this?)
>
> 2.  Assuming this is stored as a preference in a .plist file somewhere,
> write a script to check/uncheck it.  (Does anyone know where it is, I can't
> find it).
>
> 3.  I understand that ApplesScript now supports a kind of GUI scripting that
> might be able to check/uncheck this box.  Maybe the latest QuicKeys could do
> it too.
>
> I'd appreciate any ecommendations, please.

>From a security point of view, Apple will never implement something like
that. It means that your password protection is only valid until a certain
time, after which it is no longer secure.

If it were possible to only ask for a password when a screen saver is on,
then you'd have a solution: you could simply use a hot-corner to start a
screen saver during the day.

What if you go to the login window without logging out? Will your
auto-backup still run? Many programs can run even if your user account is
not active.

Kirk

          Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France