[X4U] Virtual PC 7 Problem

Phillip Zannini • phillip at globalsync.net
Sun Dec 19 16:28:11 PST 2004

On 12/18/04 11:30 AM, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Suddenly last night WinXP Pro decided to crash on me and I'm getting
> the following error:
>
>    Windows could not start because the following file is missing
>    or corrupt:
>    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
>    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
>    using the original Setup CD-ROM.
>    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
>
> Am I correct that MS failed to provide a bootable WinXP Pro CD with
> VPC7, so this is unrecoverable?
>I'm not happy!  I've gotten the few
> tools I need installed, and a bunch of data on that disk image.  I
> don't want to have to go through and redo all that work.  The
> irritating thing is that I didn't backup the emulator image, I know
> better than that.
>
> Zane

Hey Zane,

You're right, it is an annoying habit of VPC not to include the disk.  Sigh.
But, hey - what to you want for $200 right?

Anyway, I found this link on the VPC support newsgroup that might help you.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.windows/browse_thread/thread/4cd567
aadc022e59/484c89596dd4af89?q=WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM&_done=%2Fgroups
%3Fq%3DWINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM%26qt_s%3DSearch+Groups%26&_doneTitle=B
ack+to+Search&&d#484c89596dd4af89

Let me know :-)

Best,
Phillip