[X4U] Problems after re-install of OS

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Dec 21 10:06:40 PST 2004

On 12/20/04, Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com> wrote:

> I've been having problems lately with OS 10.3.6. (Apps not allowing me
> to quit them. Computer refusing to Restart or Shutdown, Finder often
> freezing.) So this morning I did an Archive and install of the OS.
> After doing so I tried to run Software update but most of the updates
> wouldn't work. I'd get a message saying Software update couldn't
> connect to the server in order to download the updates. This wouldn't
> be for all of them, iChat updated fine, some security updates worked
> some didn't. I had 6 updates that no matter what I did  wouldn't
> connect to the server. So I switched to another user account and the
> updates ran fine.

That indicates problems with the original user account. Most likely corrupt
prefs. Get Preferential Treatment and check them out.

> Also, this is my first time re-installing OSX, what files from
> "previous system" should I be moving over to my new system?

That's a tough one. You'll just have to check things in the /Library and
/Previous System/System 1/Library for application specific files--usually
in Application Enhancers and Support and Input Managers; otherwise, you'll
have to reinstall the apps which put stuff in there. The other place is in
~/Library/Prefs--sort of like what you had to do in OS 9 with CPs and
extensions, after a clean install.

Good luck