[X4U] USB speaker static

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Tue Dec 21 15:04:04 PST 2004

Can you hear the static coming from your computer speaker/s if the USB
speakers are disconnected?

Coj

Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
22/12/04 09:51 AM
Please respond to "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."

        To:     x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
        cc:     (bcc: Brett Conlon)
        Subject:        [X4U] USB speaker static

I've got a set of Monsoon iM-700 flat panel USB speakers, and they seem
to have a lot of static - wondering if this is a problem with my
speakers/system or if its common to all USB speakers. The symptom is
just a fairly loud static background behind any audio. Seems to be
about the same across all applications - iTunes, iMovie, etc. The
static is always a constant proportion of the sound when the volume is
adjusted. In other words, if you turn the volume up and down, the
volume of the static goes up and down along with the audio (works the
same with application, system, or speaker "puck" audio control).

Its always been there but it seems worse with later system updates.
Hard to tell if its getting worse, or if it just annoys me more. I'd
consider switch to a different brand of speaker, but not if its a
system issue. Any comments or experiences welcome.

Thanks,
Steve