[X4U] .DS_Store Icon Differs on Two Computers (THE ANSWER)

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Thu Dec 23 23:18:20 PST 2004

On 12/23/04 at 12:58 PM -0800, Rick Gordon wrote in a message entitled
"[X4U] .DS_Store Icon Differs on Two Computers":

>On one computer, the .DS_Store icon is associated as a UNIX executable file; on the other it shows a default document icon. (Invisibles are not hidden.) Neither one shows itself to be associated with any program in Get Info, so what is the deal here? Just for the sake of looks, I'd rather have it show with the UNIX executable file icon.

>On 12/23/04 at 1:20 PM -0800, Eddie Hargreaves wrote in a message entitled
>"Re: [X4U] .DS_Store Icon Differs on Two Computers":
>
>>.DS_Store files are not associated with any application. They are supposed to be invisible. You have probably enabled an option to show all invisible files in the Finder using a program like TinkerTool, Cocktail or Onyx.

>>On 12/23/04 at 1:59 PM -0800, Rick Gordon wrote in a message entitled
>>"Re: [X4U] .DS_Store Icon Differs on Two Computers":
>>
>>>Yes. I do have invisibles showing on purpose. I was just trying to find out what setting would allow all .DS_Store icons to have the UNIX icon.

It turns out the the answer is the executable permission setting. When a default document is set with all its execute permissions set, the icon and descreiption will display as a UNIX executable file. And then, if the enclosing folder (in this case, ~/Desktop) has its execute bits set, any new .DS_Store files in that folder will inherit them, and the icon will show as I wanted.