[X4U] Recommendation for SuperDrive replacement?

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sun Dec 26 21:24:48 PST 2004

on 04/12/26 19:59, joshua hough at jwh72 at comcast.net wrote:

> Does the drive need to be cleaned or replaced?  If so, what is the best
> replacement right now?  Internal only, please.  I have AppleCare, but would
> rather buy a newer, better drive than ship the whole G4 away to Apple.

Since operation is intermittent, it's impossible to tell for sure, and not
worth your time.  All drives have a failure rate, and I don't think you'll
find a "better" one.  If you have AppleCare, you should get a new drive.  I
can't imagine that Apple would want to receive your whole G4 any more than
you'd want to send it to them.  If they won't send you a drive to
self-install, they would certainly do it at an Apple store.