[X4U] Repair permissions on HD or Partition?

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Thu Dec 30 08:43:30 PST 2004

On Dec 30, 2004, at 10:32, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> When I open Disk Utility the top item is my HD "74.5 GB ST380021A" and
> the second item (indented below the first) is "Mark's HD" (I presume
> this is my one and only partition) Does it matter which one I do the
> repair permission on?

When you only have one partition defined on a hard drive, the repair
and verify options are available regardless of which icon you select,
the hard drive or the partition.  However, if you have more than one
partition defined, the verify and repair options only are available
once you click on a partition name.  And depending on how the drive is
formatted, the corresponding set of verify/repair buttons will be
available.

For example, I have one hard drive that does have a wee OS 9 partition
on it.  I have no options available when I click on the hard drive
icon, but if I click on the OS X patition, the Verify/Repair Disk
Permissions buttons are available; if I click on the OS 9 partition,
the verify/repair disk options are available.

So no, for you, it doesn't matter which you choose, since your
partition takes up the entire hard drive.

gretchen