[X4U] De-fragmentation (revisited)

lists3-200402 lists3-200402 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 5 08:57:31 PDT 2004

Scott <scott-xlists at scotist.com> wrote:

>On Jul 3, 2004, at 11:01, lists3-200402 wrote:
>
>  > it's not a matter of blind faith...it's a matter of common sense.
>>  fragmentation was an issue in 9.x...it's NOT an issue in osx. stop
>>  surfing magazines and start trusting apple. as far as advice goes, ask
>>  those responsible for managing hundreds of macs in high intensity
>>  shops...ask them what THEY think of fragmentation in osx.
>>
>>  ps, stop surfing magazines and looking for angles to sell your book
>>  and start trusting apple.
>>

>Hmm. Might want to do some research before you start flinging mud.

you might want to reeread knowledge base articles you point
to...you're obviously missing the point and misreading them...

>   Apple says defragging is unnecessary *most* of the time. Not all the
>time. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=17933 .

which states clearly that fragmentation was an issue in os9 and
directs you to an article that clearly states osx is...well...scroll
down this email:

": This document applies to Mac OS 9 and earlier. For information
about Mac OS X, see technical document 25668."

...which you then point to and mistate the obvious:

>See
>also http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668 , which also
>notes that defragging might be beneficial.

a quote from article 25668:

"Do I need to optimize?

  You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X. Here's why:"

i've never seen so many people swayed by marketing hype designed to
sell third party "optimization" software. unbelievable.

>Doing video? See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93699 ,
>which also suggests defragging.

...the article you point to directs you to article 25668 (scroll up).

>Recording audio? In iMovie?
>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42964 .

...article 42964 points you to 25668 which clearly states defragging
is not an issue in osx. not since my girlfriend on tax-refund day
have i seen people with such a desire to manufacture reasons to spend
money on stuff they don't need.

go figure.

>So trust Apple. Defrag your disk. Sometimes.

fragmentation is an issue in os9. it's not an issue in osx. if
fragmentation is an issue AT ALL, get a scratch disk...or at LEAST a
larger drive. it's all pretty simple from a mac sysadmin perspective.
i guess home users are guided by marketing hype and the many osx
"bible" books that line the shelves.

i trust apple...but i confirm everything with the techs who support
large install bases AND some of the techs who work AT apple.

don (who prefers the tried and true sysadmin approach)