[X4U] Journaling...

John McDaniel johnmcd at one.net
Wed Jul 7 06:43:26 PDT 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 6:15 PM, Eugene Lee wrote:

> Actually, Randy said "almost never".

ROTFLOL. Gawd the sphincters here are tight.  ;)

ACTUALLY, Randy typed (or maybe he used voice recognition software):

> And since OS X almost never crashes
> (I've never had a system crash/kernal panic under OS X), if you have a
> UPS journaling may be just about unnecessary.

To my eyes, that reads (with interpretation) as follows:

The operating system OS X, itself, _ALMOST_NEVER_ crashes, and I (Randy
Singer) can say from my experience with OS X that "I'VE NEVER HAD A
SYSTEM CRASH/KERNEL PANIC."

> : You did say "crash/kernel panic."  ;)
>
> Actually, Randy said "system crash/kernel panic" with regards to OS X
> itself and not with a specific app.

DOH! you got me!

For future discussions, please define:

1) system crash
2) kernel panic (I think most of us know the indicator of this one)
3) what term you use to describe the endless spinning beachball that
renders the entire computer system unresponsive, requiring one to hold
down the power button until the computer shuts off and then reboots?

I call #3 a "crash" (alternatively: "system crash" ?). Yes, maybe an
app caused it, but the result is not the elegant "App XYZ has
unexpectedly quit. The rest of your life remains unsullied by this
unfortunate event" kind of thing. It's more like "OS X was unable to
deal with the hairball App XYZ coughed up. Sorry. You're hosed."

j mcd