[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Jul 7 09:03:41 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 06:54:54AM -0700, revDAVE wrote:
: On 7/6/04 9:23 AM, "Stroller" <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
: >>
: >> However, I was unable to configure using the choice: " using DHCP
: >> with manual address ".  I would like to try to get this one working
: >> also ... Just for fun ... I tried adding the same DNS servers and
: >> also an ip in the range and another out of the range of my DHCP -
: >> but neither worked...
: >
: > How do you know it didn't work..?
:
: The web stopped working...

As Scott Bakula said many times, "oh boy"...

: > What does `ifconfig` say..?
:
: I don't know how to use `ifconfig`... Can you tell me where it is ...
: And how can I use it to show you?

"ifconfig" is a Unix command-line tool.  If you type out the command by
itself at a Terminal window, it will output the current settings for all
of your network interfaces (Ethernet, AirPort, etc.).  You can then copy
and paste the output.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/