[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

James Rice bebugs at vzavenue.net
Wed Jul 7 10:37:48 PDT 2004

I know the functions of DHCP.  (I'm a network/system admin of a mixed
Irix/Mac/Linux/Wintel shop, four physical locations).  As far as a
firewall assigned DMZ goes, we use a double firewall DMZ with the two
firewalls being from a different vendor with  a different OS (if they
crack the first one, they have access to the DMZ only but they will need
to use an different set of tools to crack the second to get to the LAN)
but our network is entirely set up static except for 20 addresses in the
high end of our subnets for notebook/tablets that move from office to
office.  I feel that most network admin tasks are easier on a mixed
network if the address scheme is static.  There is a certain amount of
record keeping involved to avoid IP conflicts, but it's a small price to
pay.  I just can't see the advantage of having a  DHCP client running on
a machine with a manually assigned address.

This is of course on a small network of four class C subnets routed into
a small WAN.  If I had a class A or even a B, the sheer overhead of
recordkeeping would make DHCP a must.  We also don't netboot anything,
do not use NIS and only rarely use tftp so some of the more advanced
features of DHCP aren't needed in our little corner of the world.

At home, my network is also a hybrid.  My kids Wintel machines are DHCP,
while my Macs and Unix boxes are all static.  I don't host anything at
home, but do connect via VPN to the office in order to copy files back
and forth.