[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Wed Jul 7 16:03:19 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Eugene Lee wrote:

> DHCP sets the gateway IP address, DNS server addresses, and other useful
> bits besides assigning an IP address for that machine.  There are times

I know it is supposed to do that, but whenever I take my ibook someplace
with a wireless hotspot, I always get an IP address and gateway address
via DHCP but it never fills in the DNS servers. I can usually make it work
by pasting in some known public DNS servers, but what's wrong with my
setup? Why doesn;t it automagically get the DNS server?

Oh, and it isn't only wireless. When I'm traveling for work, I plug into
the newtork "over there" and I don't get DNS either....

Any ideas?

Allan