[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 8 17:19:17 PDT 2004

On 7/8/04 9:12 AM, revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:

> Now I can use the connect to server panel and add my ip's and they work fine
> for the macs.
>
> *  however the IP I assigned to my Windows 2000 does not work. I also tried
> adding the server address of the computer name - but that did not work
> either... But it  does show what using the network Finder window. Also, it
> is part of a workgroup ... Maybe that affects it somehow?
>
> Q:  how can I get my Windows 2000 computer to show up using the connect to
> server window panel?

The AFP connection protocol is afp://username:password@IP.ADD.RES.S and I
believe the SMB connection protocol is smb://Server/Share

If the OS X machine you're using to connect is in a different workgroup than
your windows box, I believe that goes in there like
smb://Workgroup/Server/Share

http://www.macwindows.com has more info, I'll bet.