[X4U] Thesaurus

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 9 01:21:03 PDT 2004

On Jul 8, 2004, at 7:52 pm, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> I would download the thesaurus from
> http://thesaurus.maths.org/mmkb/ia6/Web_Installers/install.htm and
> during the download I got a message asking if I could trust this
> group.  Has anyone an idea about this?  Can I trust them?
> I declined, so I never got the download.

AFAICT the page has a Java or JavaScript applet to test what o/s you're
on. I believe that's what the certificate is for.

After I accepted the trust dialogue you describe, the following page
had a button on it saying "You're using Mac OS X - press here to
download the Thesaurus in a .dmg".

At the end of the day, if you're installing something on your computer,
you do have to trust the authors. It's unfortunate that, in the Windows
world, this is the way malware works, but fortunately we haven't
encountered any malware for Macs yet, so you mostly shouldn't have to
worry.

Stroller.