[X4U] De-fragmentation (revisited)

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Jul 1 21:54:44 PDT 2004

Daniel Beck said:

>I'm sure you'll be fine. If someone does feel the need to defrag, I
>think the best way (assuming one has the means) is to Carbon Copy the
>entire volume over to another disk and then back again.

That will defragment the drive, but it won't optimize it.  In fact, it
might detrimentally impact performance.

As Apple says:

>There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band" for
>rapid reads during system startup might be moved during defragmentation,
>which would actually decrease performance.

That's one of the reasons why it is important to defragment/optimize your
hard drive with a utility, and that you should use a utility that is OS X
savvy.  Which is why I can no longer recommend Alsoft's Plus Optimizer.
(Some folks have reported that using Plus Optimizer has actually caused a
decrease in performance.  PO hasn't been updated in three years, and it
apparently is not OS X savvy.)

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html