[X4U] How about Hot UNpluggable Disks?

John R McDaniel johnmcd at one.net
Sat Jul 10 12:33:52 PDT 2004

On Jul 9, 2004, at 10:00 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> Hot pluggable USB and Firewire disks are great.  But if I ever forget
> "eject" such a disk, even if no data is being transferred at the time,
>
> (1) I get an "Device Removal" alert box.
>
> (2) Often, the next time I go to mount this disk, even a day later, it
> will
> not show up in the Finder, and/or Path Finder, and/or /Volumes.  The
> only
> way to get it back seems to be to restart.

If this is all that you've suffered, consider yourself lucky. I know of
several people who have had to go to great lengths to retrieve data
from FireWire drives because they were unplugged without ejecting them
first. "Hot pluggable" refers to the fact that you don't have to power
down the CPU and/or drive.

Really... unplugging without unmounting is begging for data loss.

It goes against universal advice.

see:

<http://fwdepot.com/thestore/newsdesk_info.php/newsdesk_id/50?
osCsid=711035f03c478e37224c207d6cbebca4>

or:

<http://www.2ndwave.com/firewire.asp>

or Apple's site.

j mcd