[X4U] help for failed boot from all firewire volumes; repeating getty and signal 5

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 10 13:38:04 PDT 2004

On Jul 10, 2004, at 2:06 pm, Wayne Clodfelter wrote:
> What I am looking for, here, is for some kind and knowledgeable soul
> to tell me what the heck a "getty" is...

I'm afraid those adjectives don't describe me, and all I can give you
is `man getty`'s definition of a getty:

GETTY(8)                  BSD System Manager's Manual
GETTY(8)

NAME
      getty - set terminal mode

SYNOPSIS
      getty [type [tty]]

DESCRIPTION
      The getty program is called by init(8) to open and initialize the
tty
      line, read a login name, and invoke login(1).
      The getty program can be set to timeout after some interval, which
will
      cause dial up lines to hang up if the login name is not entered
reason-
      ably quickly.

I hope you find this to be of some small use to your research,

Stroller.