[X4U] ATA/66

verduron verduron at comcast.net
Sun Jul 11 07:52:57 PDT 2004

On Jul 11, 2004, at 10:43 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> Your message is incomplete, as it stands.
> Was your installation successful, and does it all work for you?
>
> keith whaley

 From Apple:
<<Support via the BootROM
The BootROM of Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) computers and Xserve
computers can accommodate these larger drives, although Apple does not
provide technical support for user-installed upgrades in Xserve
computers via the built-in drive carriers.>>

My message was:

I do not understand what this mean. When I bought a ATA/!133 160 GB
hard drive I installed a Sonnet card to get the full benefit. The above
notice was published after I made the installation.

Now: When I installed my Sonnet card I thought I needed it. But now I
understand I could have done without it.
But going back to my original question, I have two slots left on my G4
where, according to my manual, I can install 2 ATA/66 hard drives.
The large ATA 133 drives are always on sale, so if I can,  I would like
to install them where the  ATA/66 should go. I am NOT really interested
in the speed issue since I would use the drives mostly for storage.