[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Sun Jul 11 10:45:48 PDT 2004

On 7/9/04 10:38 PM, "Eddie Hargreaves" <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Here's another way around the showing of passwords. Type
> afp://username:password@Computer-Name.local into TextEdit. Drag and drop the
> text onto your desktop. Rename the AFP location file that it created and
> drag it to your Finder's sidebar or toolbar (or Dock) and you can just click
> on it to immediately mount the server without any username/password
> prompting.
>
> And rather than creating the AFP location file from scratch, you can just
> move or copy the file out of your ~/Library/Favorites folder.
>
> Eddie Hargreaves

Thank you Eddie for this great suggestion.

Now - I would like to go one step further.  Basically would like to store on
my desktop some aliases or the equivalent of aliases as you have described
above, of actual files and folders on other networked drives.

In the past, I have opened a network drive and created a normal Macintosh
alias from a file or folder and put it on my current desktop.  As far as
using Panther 10.3.2, this is been somewhat problematic.  Often it does not
work correctly at a later date - giving the error " the alias cannot be
opened, because the original item cannot be found.  " generally, this is
true because the drive is not mounted at the time...

So maybe the Mac alias feature doesn't work correctly for this purpose.  It
would seem as though your idea above works better as it seems to create some
kind of special " Network alias " instead.  BTW: What is this special type
called?

So the best of all worlds would be to create one of these " special network
aliases " and have it extend all the  way to the actual folder/file path.

- something like:

afp://username:password@Computer-Name.local/folder1/folder2/file1

Q: is anything like this possible?

--