[X4U] What brand SATA Drive?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 12:03:30 PDT 2004

On 07/14/04, "John Richardson" <richards at spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
>>On Jul 9, 2004, at 2:54 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>
>>>The 160GB drive in my G5 2x2 is feeling more than a little cramped
>>>(well actually it has been since I got the system over 6 months
>>>ago). I'm thinking about adding a 250GB Drive to the system and am
>>>wondering which of the drives are the most reliable and coolest
>>>running.
>>
>>A good place to check is http://www.storagereview.com. Last time I
>>checked the IBM/Hitachi drives were the fastest in the 7200 RPM class
>>and after rebates (at Fry's Electronics) the least expensive.-Phil
>
> The Hitachi rebate department has provided substandard service to me.
> I have not been able to get my rebate. They told me that my 200GB
> drive was not eligible for the 160GB rebate. However, the rebate and
> the rebate document was for the 200GB drive. Their rebate document
> was also more convoluted than normal. Fry's has not been helpful either.

Interesting. I had a similar problem in March when I bought the Hitachi
Deskstar 7K250 (200 GB) from Fry's with a $90 rebate coupon. The rebate
center claimed that "We did not receive the Original UPC barcode," even
though the rebate form EXPICITLY states that "A complete rebate request
includes the original or COPY of the UPC barcode" and I did include the
original UPC.

I sent a letter to the Hitachi rebate center, copy to Hitachi's Customer
Service Department, and followed up with a feedback report
(<http://www.hitachigst.com/contact/feedback.html>) which resolved the
problem. Consequently, my rebate check arrived within three weeks of
purchasing the drive.

John, contact me off-list for particulars.