Problem with Retrospect on OSX

Caroline Stover cstover at stackpolebooks.com
Mon Jul 19 07:00:41 PDT 2004

My department just upgraded our backup software, Retrospect, to new version
6. At the same time we moved it from a G3 running OS 9 to a G4 (single
processor) running OSX.

Since the switch we've had trouble getting our backup scripts to run
automatically at night. When I come in in the morning I see it has hung up
at just the first backup script of many. I then have to run the scripts
manually, which works fine.

The only way I've been able to get a successful automatic nightly backup is
if I set all sleep settings to NEVER SLEEP in the Energy Saver Control
Panel, and be sure to leave the monitor turned ON. Any other combo doesn't
work.

Has anyone had similar experiences and is it safe to leave all settings to
NEVER SLEEP? Safe to leave the monitor on ALL the time? It seems really hot
in the morning, but what else can I do? I'm still trying to get through to
Dantz's tech support.

--C. Stover