[X4U] MHT (html archive) files

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 23 19:26:02 PDT 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 9:01 pm, Jim Colgate wrote:

> A quick google search showed a couple programs for generating a MHT
> file but
> did not go far enough to find a program to read it.

When I tried `touch foo.mht` & double-clicked on the resulting file,
Word from MS Office 2004 tried to open it. Word's help seems to suggest
that it supports mht files fully.

    Web Archive (.mht) - Saves a Web page as a single file, including all
    of the graphics on the page, using the MIME HTML Internet standard.
    This option saves all of the elements of a document, including text
    and graphics, in a single file Web page. You can use Web Archive
    files to easily back up your Web pages. This encapsulation also lets
    you save your document as an HTML formatted e-mail message, which you
    can send by using Microsoft Entourage.

I used to really like MHTs back when I used Winders as my primary
environment. It makes loads of sense when you want to save webpages for
future reference - all the images &c are contained within the single
file, so there is far less clutter on your hard-drive.

Nowadays, of course, I print stuff as PDF for saving in my archives but
I'm inclined to the view that MHTs are technically the better format
for read-only storage of webpages - they retain the source formatting &
can be viewed as a single scrolling page, whereas a PDF printed from a
webpage is influenced by the web-browser's interpretation of how the
webpage should display, and will be split (sometimes inconveniently,
and in the middle of photos) into pages. Too bad MHTs aren't more
widely supported.

Stroller.