Firewire Problems

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Sun Jul 25 21:02:17 PDT 2004

I have gone rounds with the Firewire problems in most flavors of OS X.

Your problem looks like the classic problem of earlier OS X, such as
10.1.2, which was heavily discussed in Apple's own tech forums a while
back. Turns out Apple left in a bizarre hardware shutdown command from
which a Firewire drive can NOT awake without a restart.

Here is a repost of a similar issue AND FIX for same I once put on the
Mac DV forum concerning a G4 and Firewire...

Apart from 5 internal drives in my G4, I have 15 ADS Firewire cases,
usually with 8-12 online at any given time 24/7... I have every flavor
of the ADS case since they started with Oxford chipsets. The best, by
far, is the dual USB 2.0 - Firewire 400 external case, but sadly, it is
MOST reliable under USB, not Firewire. Mac users are stuck, more or
less, WITH Firewire. The beauty of the unit described is that it
handles drives above 137 GB without issue, as in, can't wait for the
Hitachi (formerly IBM) 400 GB units to ship.

Caveats:

1) The ADS cases (seldomly, but it happens) develop weird power supply
issues, the net effect of which being it powers down drives, or cycles
drives in a constant reboot cycle.  This can lock up OS X, up to
10.3.3. Only ONE drive need have this problem to lock everything, and
it can happen at, of course the worst possible moments.

2) If you are using older OS X, there is an OS issue, particularly back
to 10.1.2, where a hardware shutdown command is issued from the OS to
all external Firewire drives. If you see this behavior, and are
frustrated from these lockups, the first thing you can do is: shut the
Firewire drive down. It is not receiving or sending any data anyway,
and it will not hurt data as a result. We did this a hundred times
(easy) without issue, until an engineer and Unix guru (who discovered
the anomaly) came up with a workaround: use the Terminal program, and
issue the command:

sudo pmset -a spindown 0

This will tell OS X's  underlying Unix to NOT shutdown external
Firewire drives. Works great, but WILL reveal if you suffer from No. 1,
above.

Richard Brown