[X4U] 30 inch monitor

Raphael On Lists raphael.on.lists at bluewin.ch
Tue Jul 27 04:53:22 PDT 2004

Peter,
let's better clarify a bit what the end-user prices are composed of
and, considering the 30' display, what really makes the big difference
between the USA and Europe.

I have extracted the list prices from the Apple Stores of the following
countries: USA, Germany, France, and Switzerland.
(Exchange rates used for comparison purposes: 1.21 USD per EUR, and
0.79 USD per CHF)

UNIT PRICE EXCL. TAXES
USA:		USD	 3,299.00		(USD 3,299.00)
Germany:		EUR	 3.223,28		(USD 3'939.17)
France:		EUR 3.226,59		(USD 3'904.17)
Switzerland:	CHF 4,924.72		(USD 3'928.78)

...makes a difference of roughly 600 USD between the USA and European
countries - notably Apple's prices...

UNIT PRICES INCLUDING COUNTRY-SPECIFIC TAXES (local US community taxes
not considered):
USA (8% for NY):	USD	 3,562.92		(USD 3,562.92)
Germany (16%):	EUR	 3.739.00		(USD 4'524.19)
France (20%):		EUR 3.859.00		(USD 4'669.39)
Switzerland (7.6%):	CHF 5,299.00		(USD 4'171.52)

...makes a difference between 1000 to 1100 USD...

One may certainly argue about and against the high state taxes in some
some European countries. But it doesn't change the fact that the major
part of the price difference is caused by the vendor's pricing policy,
rather than the high taxes in various countries.
Particularly when looking at the price difference between Switzerland
and the USA (with Switzerland having an even lower VAT than many U.S.
states), the price difference is purely an issue of Apple, and not the
Swiss tax legislation at all.

So who shall we blame now, the European countries or rather our so
beloved Apple company?

Cheers - RAPHAEL

> On 27-jul-04, at 02:38, Peter Payne wrote:
>
>>> Cost in Europe 1200 dollar more than in the US.
>>
>> I don't know why you Europeans put up with that? Isn't there a grey
>> market of products, ordering in some way that allows you to get them
>> for the U.S. price with lower taxes? I'd revolt against the
>> governments if I were you...
>>
>> --
>> ________________________________
>> J-LIST http://www.jlist.com
>> Thousands of unique products from Japan, from Hello Kitty toilet
>> paper to miniature sushi to our world-famous "I'm looking for a
>> Japanese girlfriend" T-shirts. Visit us now!
>>
>> Interested in my life in Japan? See the Peter Payne homepage at
>> http://www.peterpayne.net/

> <x4u-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <x4u-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
> TiCase   | Checkout the coolest way to carry your TiBook! Dr. Bott  |
> <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ticase.html>

> http://www.osxfaq.com

Raphael Schumacher, CH-4123 Allschwil/Basel
phone +41 79 445 3993 , mail at raphaelschumacher.ch