De-fragmentation (revisited)

lists3-200402 lists3-200402 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 2 16:05:57 PDT 2004

Randy B. Singer <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

>Daniel Beck said:
>
>>I'm sure you'll be fine. If someone does feel the need to defrag, I
>>think the best way (assuming one has the means) is to Carbon Copy the
>>entire volume over to another disk and then back again.
>
>That will defragment the drive, but it won't optimize it.  In fact, it
>might detrimentally impact performance.
>
>As Apple says:
>
>>There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band" for
>>rapid reads during system startup might be moved during defragmentation,
>>which would actually decrease performance.
>
>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668
>
>That's one of the reasons why it is important to defragment/optimize your
>hard drive with a utility, and that you should use a utility that is OS X
>savvy.  Which is why I can no longer recommend Alsoft's Plus Optimizer.
>(Some folks have reported that using Plus Optimizer has actually caused a
>decrease in performance.  PO hasn't been updated in three years, and it
>apparently is not OS X savvy.)
>
>Randy B. Singer

why would you recommend ANY defrag utility? apple's knowledge base
and just about every competent tech will tell you it's simply not an
issue anymore. the system does a fine job managing fragmentation
without any third party assitance (read: no need to spend money).

to beat on this dead horse shows you have waayyy too much time on
your hands...maybe your time would be better spent learning/preaching
unix?

:)
don