[X4U] Configuring an App to Run as Root

drunk lists at drunkenbatman.com
Fri Jul 2 23:54:34 PDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:35:01 -0700, Rick Gordon wrote:
> What is the most streamlined way to set up an application to run with
> root ownership while you are logged in as an administrative user? I
> know you can set this up with an application like Pseudo, but how
> would you do it directly? Simply changing the permissions to root
> ownership doesn't seem to accomplish it. I think because it's still
> looking for ancillary files such as preferences inside my user
> folder, while when I run via Psudo, it works properly, looking for
> the files downstream from /private/var/root.

I think you're going to be out of luck here, although with 10.4 and ACLs this might get a little easier. Changing the permissions to root ownership won't accomplish it because you're launching the app as the administrator, not root, so its launched with administrator privileges. Changing its privileges to root basically just locks people who aren't root out of using it. Apps like Pseudo basically do the opposite, launching the app from root so it has root privileges are far as the OS is concerned.

drunkenbatman ( there! )