[X4U] De-fragmentation (revisited)

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Jul 1 14:12:17 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 04:27:36PM -0400, verduron wrote:
:
: I am in the process of recording my old audio cassettes on my computer.
: I was told that  my G3 Blue and White | Mac OS 10.3.4 hard drive should
: be de-fragmented to assure better results in audio recording.
: If yes, shall I use Norton?
: Any idea on the subject? Thanks

The main concern is that if a drive is heavily fragmented, then the OS
may spend so much time looking for and writing to free sectors that it
may drop data while it's trying to record audio.  But Panther already
automatically defragments files under 20 MB.  For disk fragmentation,
Apple thinks that the gains are too small compared to the risks of
using any 3rd-party defragmentation app.

Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/