De-fragmentation (revisited)

lists3-200402 lists3-200402 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 3 11:01:41 PDT 2004

Randy B. Singer <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

>lists3-200402 said:
>
>>why would you recommend ANY defrag utility? apple's knowledge base
>>and just about every competent tech will tell you it's simply not an
>>issue anymore. the system does a fine job managing fragmentation
>>without any third party assitance (read: no need to spend money).
>>
>>to beat on this dead horse shows you have waayyy too much time on
>>your hands...maybe your time would be better spent learning/preaching
>  >unix?
>

>If you prefer to have blind faith in Apple, that's fine.
>
>What I do have (and unfortunately, it's not an excess of free time) is
>quite a lot of experience with Macs, and a lot of feedback from users.
>
>If you prefer to learn the hard way, just ignore my advice.  My advice is
>a word to the wise.
>
>Randy B. Singer
>Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

it's not a matter of blind faith...it's a matter of common sense.
fragmentation was an issue in 9.x...it's NOT an issue in osx. stop
surfing magazines and start trusting apple. as far as advice goes,
ask those responsible for managing hundreds of macs in high intensity
shops...ask them what THEY think of fragmentation in osx.

ps, stop surfing magazines and looking for angles to sell your book
and start trusting apple.

don